Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers over at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join.
This week’s topic is: Top Ten Bookish Confessions
Everyone has at least one bookish confession (and in my case I have six). Join us in spilling our deepest held secrets around one of our most beloved pastimes. Everyone has a bookish confession. What’s yours? If you have one feel free to share it, if not feel free to commiserate with ours -Julia
So here are some of mine… and I have a few.
1. I judge books on their covers… and judge people on their bookshelves.
It’s at the stage where I’ll buy a book just if it looks pretty. I try not to go the other way and give books a chance if they sound interesting even if the cover doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest. I also get really annoyed when a book’s story doesn’t match the cover. It frustrates me so much that I’ll judge the book more harshly than I would have done if it was consistent.
And I admit that when I see what some people have as their favourite book… I do tend to judge them on it. It’s horrible and I shouldn’t. Sorry Twilight fans.
2. I can’t stand audio books. It’s the accents. In my head, no matter where characters are supposed to be from, every character ever written has an Aussie accent. It’s just how they are. So when I’m listening to audio books and my beloved characters sound completely different than I imagined… it just doesn’t work for me.
3. I think there are more books on my desk, the floor, my bedside tables and any other flat surface in my room than are actually on the bookshelves. This is due to desperately needing more shelving and because… I really need to be more organized.
4. I try to read the book of something before I go and see the movie. But if I have already seen the movie it’s rare that I get around to reading the book.
5. I used to need someone to go book shopping with me just so I didn’t go overboard and spend all my money or spend hours and hours just browsing.
6. I often dislike books that other people like. I think it’s just because they get my expectations up impossibly high and then end up not loving the book as much as I’d hoped…
7. I don’t usually like to re-read. I find that I have so many books that I’m yet to read and really want to get around to enjoying that I don’t really like spending time rereading ones I’ve already read rather than experiencing something new.
8. Most of the time when I borrow books from the library I end up returning them before I’ve even opened up the front cover… I think it’s a case of my eyes being bigger than my stomach…
9. I fused to force my older brother to read books that I’ve hated just because I know he’ll dislike them too and then I’ll have someone to complain about them with.
10. I have a huge problem remembering character’s names… especially the ones that have bizarre spellings. So most of the time I pop a post-it in the front cover with the character’s names and three or four word description of who is who. I would blame this on the fact that I’m normally reading a dozen books at once but really I just have a terrible memory.