Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers over at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join.
This week’s topic is: Top Ten Bookish Confessions
Everyone has at least one bookish confession (and in my case I have six). Join us in spilling our deepest held secrets around one of our most beloved pastimes. Everyone has a bookish confession. What’s yours? If you have one feel free to share it, if not feel free to commiserate with ours -Julia
So here are some of mine… and I have a few.
1. I judge books on their covers… and judge people on their bookshelves.
It’s at the stage where I’ll buy a book just if it looks pretty. I try not to go the other way and give books a chance if they sound interesting even if the cover doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest. I also get really annoyed when a book’s story doesn’t match the cover. It frustrates me so much that I’ll judge the book more harshly than I would have done if it was consistent.
And I admit that when I see what some people have as their favourite book… I do tend to judge them on it. It’s horrible and I shouldn’t. Sorry Twilight fans.
2. I can’t stand audio books. It’s the accents. In my head, no matter where characters are supposed to be from, every character ever written has an Aussie accent. It’s just how they are. So when I’m listening to audio books and my beloved characters sound completely different than I imagined… it just doesn’t work for me.
3. I think there are more books on my desk, the floor, my bedside tables and any other flat surface in my room than are actually on the bookshelves. This is due to desperately needing more shelving and because… I really need to be more organized.
4. I try to read the book of something before I go and see the movie. But if I have already seen the movie it’s rare that I get around to reading the book.
5. I used to need someone to go book shopping with me just so I didn’t go overboard and spend all my money or spend hours and hours just browsing.
6. I often dislike books that other people like. I think it’s just because they get my expectations up impossibly high and then end up not loving the book as much as I’d hoped…
7. I don’t usually like to re-read. I find that I have so many books that I’m yet to read and really want to get around to enjoying that I don’t really like spending time rereading ones I’ve already read rather than experiencing something new.
8. Most of the time when I borrow books from the library I end up returning them before I’ve even opened up the front cover… I think it’s a case of my eyes being bigger than my stomach…
9. I fused to force my older brother to read books that I’ve hated just because I know he’ll dislike them too and then I’ll have someone to complain about them with.
10. I have a huge problem remembering character’s names… especially the ones that have bizarre spellings. So most of the time I pop a post-it in the front cover with the character’s names and three or four word description of who is who. I would blame this on the fact that I’m normally reading a dozen books at once but really I just have a terrible memory.
I desperately want to like audio books but I don’t. I love the idea of them but voice is always weird.
Exactly! They never match how they should in my head… and they don’t get as excited as I do over certain parts in the books… but that’s probably a good thing. It’s a bit of a mess in my head and how I imagine things. The audio book would probably digress into just squealing and laughter if I was in charge. Thanks for visiting 🙂
I feel the same about re-reading, and then I worry that I’m missing out on some big secret… nevertheless, I’ve never re-read anything.
And I totally force my best friend to read books I didn’t like so we can complain together. I think he’s going to put his foot down one of these days.
I judge books by their covers too. I’ll still read them based on recommendations, but I probably wouldn’t have picked it up on my own. I judge people by the books they’ve read too… 🙂
I agree with a few of these! I try to reread my favorites, but i dont reread them once a year or anything.
I also judge people based on their books.
I have a problem with character names too! I can read the whole book and that character’s in it the whole time and then I write the review and totally blank.
And I judge books by their covers too 🙁 Oops! I can’t help it! Pretty covers just attract me and sometimes I feel like if you didn’t even want a good cover design for your book, maybe you didn’t care about writing a good book either.
I judge too. Especially on the favorite book, I try to remember mine changes – a lot! But some people who have favorite authors I absolutely detest…ick!
I think that’s cute that you picture everyone w/ an aussie accent!! (Even Harry Potter??) I don’t reread either. Even books that I LOVE! I just can’t picture myself reading a book that I already know everything that happens 🙁 I need NEW!!
EVEN Harry Potter. Even thought I knew that they were British… I still got a bit of a shock when I saw the first movie 😛
I usually try to read a book before the movie too…and I’m the same way, I typically don’t try and read said book if I’ve seen the movie first with only a couple exceptions.
Omg I thought I was the only one who can’t remember character names! Lol. It actually takes me 4 chapters to actually remember their name! Btw, I have a giveaway of Audrey’s Guide to Witchcraft by Jody Gehrman. It’s a YA-Paranormal and it’s for US/Canada (signed copy) & International (ecopy). Check it out?
Leigh | Little Book Star
Love your confessions! A big yes to not liking the books that everyone else seems to like, I don’t know what it is but lately a lot of the books getting HEAPS of hype have disappointed me and I am left wondering if I even read the same book as everyone else!
And I am trying my first audio book today, I was sure the author was an Aussie but she has a really strong American accent and it’s weird to listen to and slow, too.
Also, I think we all judge other people based on some of the books likes/dislikes 😉
I am dreadful with character names as well! I have to have the book in front of me, or at least Google at hand so that I can go through and find who it is I’m talking about!