Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers over at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join.
This Week’s Topic: : Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romance Books
I love romance.
I’ve been reading books and loving on the love for more than half my life and over that time I’ve come to realize there are certain things I like and certain things I can’t stand in romance books.
It turns out there are quite a few things which get on my nerves.
My list of TEN things I DISLIKE in Romance Novels:
- Instalove – I want my couples to EARN their happily ever after. Love at first sight bugs in contemporaries. I don’t mind instant attraction but I want their relationship to be based on more than love at first sight.
- Love Triangles – I think I burnt out on them. I read too many where I didn’t care for either option and it has left a bad taste in my mouth… reading wise
- Drama Cycles – Have you ever read the kind of book where the couple are intensely on, then fiercely fighting, then love, then hate, then spectacularly in love, then passionately angry. IT’S FRUSTRATING! (case in point: The After series by Anna Todd)
- Teacher/Student Relationships – I have a moral dislike of this one.
- Cheating – Even when the Meant To Be couple are cheating with each other on their respective others, it is just something I don’t like (Like with Thoughtless by SC Stephens)
- Too Stupid To Live Heroines who have no redeeming features and yet everyone seems to be in love with them. I’m pretty sure everyone has read one of these.
- Obvious Misunderstandings – You know the kind. Like when the girl wants the guy but he has a girlfriend. But then the girlfriend turns out to be his sister. That kind of thing. Where it’s obvious to EVERYONE but the couple in question just what is going on. There are a whole range of misunderstands which bug me because I just find them to be too in-your-face to be a mystery.
- When it’s ALL ABOUT THE LOVE (and they lose sight of everything they were interested in before the relationship began)
- LOVING the Villain – If a character starts out as the BIG EVIL in the first book then I’m not okay with him being the love interest in the third. When an author works that hard to make me hate someone and then not only wants me to forgive him but to fall in love? It’s just not right.
But I absolutely ADORE
- Soul Mates when it comes to paranormal romance. I don’t know what. I just like the idea that in a world with paranormal and supernatural things can happen that there are soulmates.
- The Boy/Girl Next Door trope
- Best Friends to something more
- Hate to love – you know when there are enemies for some reason but then they start to get to know each other and they can’t deny the attraction. And then after all the sexual tention and banter they finally get together? That’s just awesome to read!
It might seem like I’m a hater but I do still love romance. And for everything that I’ve put on my list of things I dislike – I have come across exceptions to the rule. I think when it comes down to it, if it is written well I will like just about anything!
Hope you all have a great week 🙂 Feel free to leave a comment and a link to your Top Ten Tuesday so I can comment back 🙂