Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers over at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join.
The topic for this week is: Top Ten Reasons I Love to Read/Blog
1. I love getting to know like-minded people from completely different backgrounds. Before I found goodreads and book blogs, I often felt like there was no one I could talk to about the books I liked to read. But I have found so many people and so many more books than I even knew existed now that I blog about books. It’s amazing.
2. The things I’ve learned. I feel like I learn something new – either some kind of fact or something about myself – from every book I read. It’s not always something big or profound but I love learning new things.
3 I’m thinking more in-depth about the books that I’m reading. I like writing reviews (which is something I’ve learned about myself since blogging) and writing them makes me think about a book in a different way than before. It’s a semi-organized way to get my feelings out on the page and a way for me to really stop and think about how I felt about events and characters.
4. Blogging and Reading both improve writing skills. I think I’m becoming a better writer and better and converting my thoughts into words on a page. Reading certainly improves my vocabulary.
5. Apparently there are studies that find reading literary fiction improves empathy. Whilst I don’t read much Dickens, I do like to think that reading is improving myself.
6. Reading is the easiest and cheapest way to travel and live multiple lives.
7. Blogging gives me a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. My blog may not be the biggest or most read out there – but I’m proud of what I’ve achieved. I like getting the opportunities that blogging has given me and getting to know people who are passionate about books and reading like I am. There may be days when it seems like a bit too much work but overall I’m really happy with what I’ve done.
8. Reading is getting me fit! I’ve been listening to audiobooks lately whilst I’ve been going for my daily exercise. I’m not the most fitness happy person but when I’m in the middle of an exciting part of the book and it’s time for me to finish my run – it just gives me the motivation I need to get up early tomorrow just to find out what’s going to happen next!
9. It makes me happy. I love getting to experience things for the first times with characters – despite having gone though that myself or conversely NEVER going to have those opportunities. It makes me happy to fall in love a thousand times and the times when I’m so proud of characters for their decisions and actions that I feel my heart burst. It’s happy.
10. It gives me an excuse to drink lots of tea…