Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers over at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join.
This week’s topic is: Top Ten Books if you were on a deserted island.
Amazingly enough – this is something I think about all the time. Why? Because I’m always trying to sort out my book collection. I have one shelf that is books I can’t live without. Another full of books that I’ve wanted to read or attempted to read and just not been able to finish for whatever reason. The final category of books I would need are survival books.
Favourites that I could read a thousand times and still want to read again
1. Persuasion by Jane Austen (because that letter… oh my. I think it’s the most romantic thing I’ve ever read)
2. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Books that I’ve been trying to read for ever and would need to be stranded on a deserted island to finish reading… (and plus… if all else fails there is plenty of paper in these to be used as fuel for the fire I’d need to survive)
3. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
4. Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien (which is sort of cheating as it’s many books in one)
5. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Books that have necessary lessons to be learnt within their pages
6. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
7. Man vs. Wild: Survival Techniques from the Most Dangerous Places on Earth by Bear Grylls
Because where there is a desert island – pirates are never far away
8. Steel by Carrie Vaughn
9. The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists by Gideon Defoe
Because I bought it today and couldn’t stand the idea of not being able to read it
10. The Diviners by Libba Bray (I’ve wanted this book forever and when I saw the gorgeous cover on the Allen & Unwin edition I couldn’t help myself… this is what happens when I go to a bookstore to buy a birthday gift for my sister-in-law without a chaperone.. whoops!)
There are a lot of other books that I adore and I’d love to bring with me but I thought I should try to obey the rules this week and stick to a top ten. And – I’m rather proud of myself – but I managed to complete a top ten without any Harry Potter, Meg Cabot or Vampire Academy on it 😛
A list of my favourites shelf according to goodreads
I also have LotR on my list! I’ve reread it a couple of times by now and it keeps being amazing! Great list!
200 Followers Giveaway (INT)
Man vs Wild would probably be very useful! I didn’t even think of a book that would help me survive. I’m quite crafty though 🙂
That’s a great list, I found this quite an easy topic today.
My Top Ten Tuesday
Oh I love your choices! I like the “long books” and I agreed – I’d like to read them but probably would have to be stranded on an island in order to finish them hahaha.
Great list! War and Peace is on my list, too (and I’ve seen Cinder on many lists – need to add that to my TBR list!)…check out my TTT at http://www.ReadingYA.com
Yea Cinder & The Diviners. You are so smart to think about paper/fire count.
cinder would be great! great list! Check out our TTT ~ Katie @ Inkk
Cinder is a fantastic book and I liked Steel! 🙂
Pride and Prejudice was on my list. I’ve never read Persuasion, but I have heard totally amazing things about it. Also I heard that the Letter is totally swoon worthy. But anytime I get in the mood for Jane Austen, I always just pick up P&P again.
Love your list. Some really great picks!