It’s Tuesday! And that means it’s time to participate in the meme created by Broke and Bookish where bloggers share their top ten based on a given topic.
Today’s Topic is: In honour of Fall Tv, do a tv-themed topic!
I much prefer the word Autumn to Fall… even if we are going into Spring here in Australia.
And I love this topic. I love TV. A lot.
So to tie this topic into bookishness, I’m going to share ten of my favourite TV shows which were originally based on a book (or comic book).
- True Blood based on the Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlene Harris.
- Dexter based on the novels by Jeff Lindsay
- Game of Thrones based on the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin
- Gossip Girl based on the books by Cecily von Ziegesar
- The Walking dead based on the comics by Robert Kirkman
- Sex and the City based on the book by Candice Bushnell
- Outlander based on the books by Diana Gabaldon
- Orange is the New Black based on the memoir by Piper Kerman
- Hornblower based on books by C.S. Forester
- Broadwalk Empire inspired by the book Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City by Nelson Johnson
- Sherlock based on the original stories by Arthur Conan Doyle (The BBC series is just… one of my all time favourite shows!
- Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries based on the Phynne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood. (Love the vintage fashion in this series… possibly more than the actual plots).
Okay so I cheated and listed 12!
I’ve read most of these. The only one I haven’t read was Broadwalk Empire. But the show was fantastic!
I’m one of those people who almost always prefer a book over the film version. But I often like the TV show more than the book. I hated Sex and the City in book form. I found it rather boring but it’s one of those shows I’ve watched more than once. Same with Gossip Girl – the book characters annoyed me. But when I watched the show I was oddly addicted to seeing how things went for Blair and Chuck.
Which have been your favourite TV series based on books? Any I’ve not listed you think I should watch? Please feel free to leave a comment. I love reading them. Happy Tuesday!
Great list. I love Outlander! Call the Midwife and The 100 are also based on books, though I haven’t read the latter. I think iZombie is based on a comic, and there’s a TV adaptation of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. 🙂
I hadn’t even realised Broadwalk Empire was based on a book!
The only ones I’ve actually read from this is a Song of Ice and Fire although I’ve watched a good few of them. I find that if I don’t read the book before I see the show/movie then I’m not likely to.
I absolutely love Gossip Girl. I’m going to try and read one of the books soon!
I loved Boardwalk Empire! I didn’t realize it was based on a book but I definitely need to go find a copy of that. I need to watch the Miss Fisher series. I love the books but haven’t watched the show yet. Great list!
Dexter! Great books AND TV series. I also really love the Hornblower TV series as well and the books are fun. For a while I was on a whole British Nautical book run – reading most of the Hornblower series (I don’t think I finished it) and the entire Patrick O’Brian Aubrey and Maturin series. Speaking of which THAT would make a great mini-series!
I really like Gossip Girl and Game of Thrones. And I LOVE Sherlock. I think I tend to either watch the show OR read the book/series, but I rarely do both. Though Game of Thrones in book form sound like they would go really well.